In a surprise to the entire nation, Lok Sabha passed the landmark Bill to provide 10% reservations for the economically weaker sections belonging to the general category with most of the parties backing this measure. Around 323 members votes in support of the Bill while just 3 votes against it, highlighting the cross-party support for a crucial bill.
The Government has dubbed its move as historic and reiterated confidence that the Supreme Court to might approve of it due to the good intentions behind introducing it. While Opposition raised concerns over the Bill, Union Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot patiently clarified doubts of the members after which even some of the Opposition parties voted in favour of the Bill.
Meanwhile, AP Chief Minister and TDP Chief N. Chandrababu Naidu, BSP Chief Mayawati and several others from the Opposition too expressed their support. The Bill will be tabled in Rajya Sabha today.
Those eligible for the 10% reservations are:
– People earning less than Rs. 8 lakh per year
– People who own farm land below 5 acres
– Those who have a residential house below 1000 sq.ft
– Those with a residential plot less than 100 yards in notified municipality
– Those with a residential plot less than 200 yards in non-notified municipality