
A man who allegedly opened fire near a United States Secret Service checkpoint outside the White House has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to reports published by the New York Post.
Officials said Best was already known to law enforcement agencies and had reportedly been flagged several times in the past for loitering near White House entry checkpoints. Reports stated that he was arrested twice last year on charges including obstructing vehicular traffic and entering a restricted pedestrian control area near the White House.
During one of those arrests, Best allegedly told authorities that he wanted to be detained because he believed he was the modern-day incarnation of Jesus Christ. Investigators are now examining whether mental instability may have played a role in the incident, while also probing any possible political motive behind the attack.
Authorities further revealed that a court order had previously barred Best from approaching the White House premises, but he allegedly violated those restrictions before the shooting occurred.
The incident reportedly took place on May 24 shortly before 6 pm local time near a security checkpoint outside the White House complex in Washington, DC. According to the Secret Service, Best approached the checkpoint and suddenly opened fire at officers stationed there.
One bystander was seriously injured during the shooting. Investigators are still trying to determine whether the victim was hit by bullets fired by the suspect or during the exchange of gunfire between the suspect and officers.
Members of the Secret Service Uniformed Division immediately returned fire and neutralised the suspect at the scene. Best was later shifted to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Officials confirmed that no Secret Service personnel were injured in the incident.
At the time of the shooting, US President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House residence and remained unharmed. White House officials confirmed that Trump had been briefed about the situation soon after the incident unfolded.
Kash Patel confirmed that the Federal Bureau of Investigation was assisting with the probe and said authorities would release further updates as the investigation progresses.
According to reports from CNN, members of the media present near the White House were quickly moved into secure shelter areas as Secret Service agents shouted warnings about “shots fired.” Armed officers carrying rifles were later seen moving across the White House grounds while security teams sealed off the surrounding area.
The lockdown reportedly continued for nearly 40 minutes before restrictions were lifted shortly after 6:45 pm Eastern Time. Several senior Trump administration officials, including Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Vice President JD Vance, had reportedly left the White House shortly before the shooting took place.
The latest incident comes less than a month after another major security scare linked to the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. In that case, a suspect identified as Cole Tomas Allen allegedly exchanged fire with Secret Service officers after reportedly running through a security checkpoint carrying a shotgun. He later pleaded not guilty to charges that included attempting to assassinate Trump.
Recent Random Post:















